July 2, 2007

Blame the iPhone...and iPod Racism

Alright, I've got a couple things here at the moment I want to ponder.

First. Here I am, writing on a blog open for the public to read. Where's my damn iPhone. Gizmodo got like 12. So did Engadget. Show some love, send me an iPhone. And the money to pay for the plan.

Second, a short story. Apple yesterday released a firmware update for the SuperDrive (aka CD/DVD drive). But there was a glitch. If you installed more than one update at a time, the install process dialog for the firmware was hidden. So I do my software update with the firmware and iTunes 7.3 (damn iPhone). It gets done, and I had just re-set up XP so I could play Neverwinter Nights 2. Right after I hit restart, a little window pops up that says "You're firmware is being updated. Do not restart while in progress." Progress bar is at 60%, but it's far too late now. My computer shuts down, and my DVD drive is now a bricked. It won't even pretend to accept discs. And every bit of info I've found says the only cure is to get a new drive.

Which brings me to my question. Doesn't it seem odd that a software problem could render hardware permanently useless? I mean, since it was software that messed up, there should be a software fix. Just putting in a second identical drive should yield the same results? I have perfectly good hardware, slightly messed up software, yet it's the hardware that needs replaced. Discuss.

Finally, this is just funny. I would to. What would each color mean (besides white = racist).

No comments: